I’m going to do something a bit different here, I will create a series of posts that will include the first three chapters of the latest version of my book “Just Do It – Damn It” for free, I will separate each chapter in to a few posts, because some of the chapters are a bit big and I don’t want the posts to become too long.
If you are interested in checking out the full book, you can find it here:
- Amazon US – Just Do It – Damn It: The Approach To Life, Business & Success
- Amazon UK – Just Do It – Damn It: The Approach To Life, Business & Success
Thanks in advance, and now on to the book itself.
We all have patterns of behaviour and the problem is that it’s very easy to get stuck in one and form a habit that will have a negative impact on you in the long run. Some people spend their whole life stuck in a lifestyle, habit or a behavioural pattern that will ruin them mentally, emotionally and physically.
I myself have been stuck in bad behavioural patterns for months; even years and I have caused damage to myself. The only way I’ve ever managed to break such a pattern has been either by taking a break and trying new experiences or when a major life event that has put things in perspective, has happened to me or my family.
Being self-aware and understanding that something needs to change in your life and perspective is something that not everyone comes to realize. There is a substantial amount of people out there who will never realise that there are alternatives to their damaging lifestyle or the way they think. If all their family and people around them think and act in a certain way, the chances are that, that person will subconsciously emulate the same behavioural patterns.
This is the reason why I’m so vocal about changing and improving yourself. I was stuck in a bad behavioural pattern as a teenager and in my early 20s, but I managed to get out of it. It took time, patience and a lot of effort, but I manage to do it, and I’m sure you will, too.
Change is very hard, but when you are ready it will come by itself and it will feel easy.
What were the positive effects that change had on me?
The process of change took years and I am still progressing every day. When I took the first steps to improve my mindset and lifestyle I started to notice certain feelings, thoughts and experiences that I was having. I’m sure that once you start to improve on your skill set, mindset and personality, eventually you will experience them as well.
- Self – confidence boost – once I started to get my priorities in line and I knew exactly what I wanted to achieve and what I needed to change in my behaviour, my self-confidence started growing. I’ll be honest, at first it was cockiness, but after some time it became silent, solid confidence. This also took time and work. At first you will probably feel similarly, your confidence will start to grow. But don’t mistake this beginner’s ego boost and cockiness for true and deep confidence. Sculpting your ego into solid confidence will take some time. Don’t worry everybody goes through that, you will get there.
- Excitement, motivation, energy and improved health – not only my mental state was different, but my body and energy levels really changed, as well. I became fitter, more energetic and way more motivated than before.
- Time management – when I knew that I wanted to accomplish something, and I had goals, I started to value every minute of the day.
- Seeing opportunities everywhere – my vision for business and connecting with people really expanded. Opportunities are every ware you just need to know where to look.
- I felt happier and less depressed – one of my favourite quotes of all time is “A life without purpose is torture”. Once I knew what I wanted, life became way brighter and happier.
How to make the first step towards a positive change?
I will share with you all the things that I did and how that influenced my life. Hopefully you can use this information and apply it to your circumstances.
- I had an “eye-opening” experience – my eye-opening experience was so simple and average that most people think that I’m making it up. I was 19 years old and after I got fired from my job as an assistant chef (I was horrible at it) I was unemployed and receiving a lot of pressure from my family to find a new job ASAP. I didn’t know what to do at that point. I had been stuck in a very bad behavioural pattern for 2-3 years – I was drinking almost every day, I was up to no good and had a lot of problems everywhere I went. Then my uncle (who is an entrepreneur) called me up one day and said, “come over to my house, I have a business idea that I want to share with you”. So, half an hour later I went to his place, and he told me about eBay. This might sound silly now, but this was back in 2009, I was still in Bulgaria and eBay was not that popular and not many people in my country ware doing business on it. My uncle offered me to start a business with him selling antiques, vintage collectables and war memorabilia. He was going to be in charge of supplying the stock, and I was going to be in charge of packing, shipping, price comparison, photography, listings and customer service. So, we started this new company, but the only problem was that I was still in my bad mindset and I was still living my damaging lifestyle. Things didn’t start off well – I was late to work, I was not doing all the tasks I had each day, I always said “don’t worry, I will do it tomorrow”. Unsurprisingly, after two months, my uncle had enough. He said to me that I was not doing my part of the deal, I was not showing up on time, and even when I was, I wasn’t exactly focused on the work I was doing; he also said that I was constantly putting work off. After listing all my wrongdoings, he said “I am pausing the business for a month and we aren’t going to keep in touch in the next few weeks. You have one month to shape up and fix your attitude, if I don’t see a change in a month, this is going to be permanent.”
So off I went mad, disappointed and sad, blaming everyone but myself. For the first couple of days I was really mad at my uncle and the whole world. But after my mind cooled off I started thinking – what if he had a point? And why not give it a go and see if I can change?
And now here is the moment that you have all been waiting for, what happened and how I got on to the path of changing my mindset?
3 minutes and 47 seconds. That is the time that it took me to change my life forever.
I was browsing on YouTube and stumbled across a video called “8 secrets to massive success by Richard St. John”.
This is the video that changed my life forever; when I finished watching it I was standing on my chair with my mouth wide open and my mind blown into smithereens. I could not believe that there was an alternative to the mindset and lifestyle that I had.
I was thought and brought up with the mentality that you go to school, you perform decently and then go to university to get a diploma, then go and get a 9-5 job that pays average. If you don’t go to university you get a 9-5 job that paid the minimum wage, then you retire at a certain age and either do a bit of travelling (if you’re lucky enough to have a good pension plan) or stay at home and watch TV all day. That was it. Not just for me until that moment, but for my family as well. That was life.
When I saw that video, I saw a whole different world that did not exist for me just 3 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
I had no idea that a person can have a career instead of a job; I had no idea that you were the maker of your own destiny – my grandmother always used to tell me that everything is decided for you when you were born in the form of fate, and there was nothing that you could do about it. I had no idea that a mindset was not something that was engraved in stone, that it could be changed and developed over time.
All of these things ware fascinating to me. And I think that subconsciously I had been ready to hear something just like that. That was the thing that triggered a change in my mindset.
So, think. What can you do to trigger that reaction in your mind, the one that will make you take the first step towards change? Take part in a new activity, start practicing a new sport, take up a new challenge, claim a hill or a mountain, meet new people or end a toxic relationship. That little trigger could be hiding in plain sight.
All the information is out there, all the opportunity is out there, and all your dreams are out there. They are just waiting for you to take the first step towards them…will you?
To Be Continued in Part 2 (Coming Soon) :
Just Do It – Damn It – 1. Change (Part 2)
Support this Site:
All the content I’m creating is free of charge, however if you wish to support this site so I can dedicate more time to creating quality content, you can help out by:
- Becoming a Patreon
- Donating on PayPal
- Purchasing my new Book on Amazon (US) – The Book of Manly Quotes: 200 Quotes on Masculinity, Success and Happiness
- Purchasing my new Book on Amazon (UK) – The Book of Manly Quotes: 200 Quotes on Masculinity, Success and Happiness
- Purchasing my Book on Amazon US – Just Do It – Damn It: The Approach To Life, Business & Success
- Purchasing my Book on Amazon UK – Just Do It – Damn It: The Approach To Life, Business & Success